Vote 2020 graphic
Everything you need to know about and expect during
the most important election of our lifetimes

Massachusetts dogs suffering from “cannabis toxicity” now that pot is legal

Illustration for article titled Massachusetts dogs suffering from “cannabis toxicity” now that pot is legalem/em
Photo: Fernando Trabanco Fotografía (Moment/Getty Images)

Pot enthusiasts are probably glad to have marijuana legal in Massachusetts, leading to new marijuana dispensaries throughout the state. But the plethora of pot has resulted in an unexpected and unfortunate side effect: “an increased caseload of emergencies involving dogs sickened by cannabis toxicity,” says The Cape Cod Times.

Advertisement

Since pot is now legal for recreational and medical uses, there is increased marijuana detritus left over in parks, for example, to say nothing of what people might have in their houses. One pet owner that the Times talked to said their dog ate a blunt found in the grass after a music festival. “Hours later, we thought he was having a stroke… He couldn’t walk, he was peeing everywhere and was hypersensitive to everything.” Other signs of impaired pets include walking with a drunken gait, dilated pupils, and paranoia—just like in humans. Dr. Daniel Hebert of Duxbury Animal Hospital “also noted dogs can also get hungry—‘the munchies’—toward the end of the episode.”

While an Andy Capp-walking dog might be funny on a cartoon level, the medical professionals warn that pot toxicity can be very serious for dogs—since they’re smaller than humans, they can be impaired on a much more intense level. “It can be fatal, and that’s the scariest part,” veterinary nurse Brittany Knepper told The Times, because ingestion can cause respiratory suppression and low blood pressure, possibly leading to a fatality.” This article from a Texas veterinary group suggests that if you suspect your dog may have accidentally consumed marijuana, an over-the-counter human drug test—available at a pharmacy—would work to confirm the presence of the drug. After that, owners have a few options for emergency care depending on how severe their dogs’ symptoms are.

Advertisement

Fortunately, since pot is now legal in Massachusetts, pet owners afraid that their dog may have ingested marijuana no longer have to fear getting in trouble for possession if they bring their dog into the vet. “Nobody will get in trouble,” reassured Knepper. “We don’t care if you use pot.”

Gwen Ihnat is the Editorial Coordinator for The A.V. Club.

Share This Story

Get our newsletter

DISCUSSION

jcoley
Bubblehead

I’m calling BS. Eating a roach does not have enough decarboxylated cannabis in it to do anything.

My Dad once spun me a yarn about having to roam their family farm to eradicate ditch weed because all the cows would eat it and get stoned and they could’ve gotten trouble for selling milk that got people high.

I wish that’s how it worked. I have to mix distillate into my soda stream flavors to make get high drinks!