Pop quiz, hotshot: You’re making a sandwich and you pull a piece of bread out of the bag. There’s a spot of mold on it. Do you cut the mold off and still eat it, or do you throw the piece (and the rest of that loaf) away?
Wrong! You should have thrown the whole thing away. As this upsetting video from Tech Insider reveals, no part of moldy bread is safe. That’s because “Mold is a type of fungus. Like a mushroom, it has a vast number of roots—called hyphae—that spread beneath the visible surface. Therefore, the whole piece of bread is riddled with mold.” Oh god. Then because mold is made from spores that fly around, it’s likely that the rest of the loaf is infected as well, and some of that mold can be pretty unhealthy to take in. I’m just not going to think about all the times I’ve just cut out the mold from my bread, or grabbed a different piece from the same loaf. Anyway, at least now you and I know better. [Gwen Ihnat]