We are completely obsessed with this recipe, not only for its pleasure-center-poking deliciousness, but for its versatility. Among the things we’ve slathered bacon coffee jam on: roast beef sandwiches, grilled cheese, any burger really, mixed with sour cream for chip dip, potato salads, mac and cheese, baked beans, and deviled eggs. Episode two of Kevin’s Bacon explains more.
Bacon Coffee Jam
1 pound thick-cut bacon
2 yellow onions, sliced
½ cup brown sugar
⅔ cup coffee
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp sriracha
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- Dice bacon (easier to dice if placed in freezer for 20 mins)
- Fry bacon in skillet until slightly crispy. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Take out half the bacon drippings from skillet. (Save it!)
- Add sliced onions to bacon pan and sauté for 15 minutes until soft and yellow. Remove excess liquid.
- Add back cooked bacon, along with brown sugar, coffee, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sriracha, and mustard.
- Bring to boil, then lower heat to simmer. Stir occasionally for next 30 minutes. Let cool and store in jar. Keeps for one week.
“Kevin’s Bacon” video series is brought to you by Hormel’s Black Label Bacon.